Let’s know the history of the naming of different areas of Dhaka city
The English word comes from the Grand Area, where the wealthy elite of yesteryear lived.
There lived a British man named Mr. boot, from its name Boot Lane, later named Ghost Lane.
The present day Mahakhali is derived from the name of a temple named Maha Kali.
Once the residence of a wealthy man named “Dwijdas Babu” in this area, the road next to Attlika was built by himself and named after his eldest daughter “Indira”.
A lot of elephants were used during the British rule. Places where wild elephants were kept were called Pilkhana. The present “pilkhana” was the largest.
From Pilkhana the elephants were taken to bathe in the “Elephant Lake” and then bask in the “Ramana Park”. Before evening, the elephant group used to come to Pilkhana. The thoroughfare is hence named Elephant Road. There was a small wooden pool in the middle of the path, named “Elephant Pool”.
★ Cockrail: 🏇
Mr. Cockrell was the commissioner of Dhaka in the last decade of the nineteenth century. A new town was created and named as “Kakrail”.
★Ramana Park: 🤼 Ramana Kali Mandir was built by the rich Ramnath Babu in this area. Adjacent to the temple was a flower garden and a sports park. Later “Ramana Park” was created.
★ Gopi Bagh:
There was a rich businessman named Gopinag. He built “Gopinath Jiur Mandir” at his own expense. Next to it was a garden of thousands of flowers “Gopi Bagh”.
Hookah was in vogue. “Tikatuli” was where hookah vaccine factory was.
The artillery force of the East India Company was stationed here.
★Purana Paltan, Naya Paltan:
The East India Company’s cantonment at Dhaka had a platoon army, the platoon named after the platoon. Later Agakhanis divided this paltan into two parts, new paltan was residential area and old paltan was commercial area.
Name of Baitul Mokaram:
Around 1950-60, President Ayub’s government planned the Old Dhaka-New Dhaka communication road. As a result, many businesses and residential houses of Agakhanis were lost. The leader of Agakhanis, Abdul Latif Bawani (owner of Bawani Jute Mills) proposed to the government that they would build the largest mosque in Asia at their own expense. It was a big pond called “Paltan Pond”, once British soldiers used to bathe in this pond. Mosque and market were established in 1968.
A big market once stood here. The market was famous for selling paddy and other grains.
Nawab Ahsanullah had a daughter named Paribanu. Perhaps Ahsanullah made a big garden here in the name of Paribanu.
Paglapool: There was a river here in the 17th century, named – Pagla. Mir built a beautiful pool on the river Jumla. Many people came to see the beautiful pool. Hence the name of the place “Mad Pool”.
The British government built a farm here for agricultural development, agricultural and animal husbandry research. The area is named Farmgate from the main gate or gate of that farm.
In 1957, several people, including social worker Abdul Gani Haider, settled in this area. Since there were many trees here, everyone discussed and named the area Shyamoli.
Those who worked in wood were called sutradhar. Many Sutradhar families once lived in this area. Since then the name of the place is Sutrapur.